[Samba] File Locked

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 19 15:26:54 GMT 2006

Hi,

I've got a Word document on a Samba share that I can't rename, overwrite or open. Attempting to rename it gives: Cannot rename Filename: There has been a sharing violation.

Attempting to open it gives: Filename.doc is locked for editing by 'another user'.

This is on a NAS box so I can't say which Samba version it is.

There are no temporary files in the share to show who might have this file open. If I create a file in this share as the same owner, it gets the same ACL but I can edit it.

Does anyone have any advice for how I might troubleshoot this? If it *is* opened by another user how can you determine who it is? If not, how can the problem be fixed.

(I appreciate that this is probably a Windows SMB rather than Samba problem but with Windows I can see who has what open in Server Manager).

Thanks in advance for any help

Leon...