[Samba] issue with adding machines to new domain

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Mon Sep 18 23:15:31 GMT 2006

I have created a domain controller using samba 3.0.20.

I following howto's from a couple of books and the samba.org site.

I was able to use net rpc vampire to migrate the old nt4 domain user
accounts, machine accounts, and trusts.

However, now when I attempt to use add a new machine to the domain I
receive and error. From windows I get:

"The user name could not be found"

When I look at the samba log file I see

"... running the command useradd .. gave 5" (I've abbreviated the
script since it follows the how tos)

I didn't know what the 'gave 5' meant. I assume it means that useradd
failed. Looking at /etc/passwd does indeed show that there was no
machine account created.

I looked in the man page but I don't see what any documentation on
error codes returned by useradd.

I have run net group map and verified that "Domain Admins" maps to the
unix group ntadmins. The windows users is a member of both "Domain
Admins" and ntadmins.

Where else should I look?

--
David Bear