[Samba] samba 3 and acucobol vision files problem

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 16:31:49 GMT 2006

I have a sort of legacy application based on Acucobol, that is using a
samba 3 share for its application data files.
I need to migrate it, going to release 6.2.0 of acucobol.
In my tests it seems that I get some errors regarding files access:
the program actually doesn't give particular errors, neither samba
backend... (the problem resides in having some vcprint layout models
for invoices and/or ddt not updated, so that when you want a printout
of a ddt, you get the model for customer confirmation...)
the application uses AcuCobol Vision files and searching through the
web it seems that some problems about locking could exist
http://www.codecomments.com/Cobol/message1025566.html
The sw vendor confirmed that only windows should be supported (I have
asked for an official statement about this by the sw vendor).
As I wouldn't like to go with a win server only for sharing this stuff
of things, are there any previous feedbacks about these problems with
acucobol 6.2 and vision files?
Could any samba change about locking mgmt resolve the situation?
Is this related with some similar arguments about latest versions of quickbooks?
Thanks in advance,
Gianluca