[Samba] MacOS X ':' in password causes NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE error when printing

Paul Griffith paulg at cs.yorku.ca
Mon Sep 18 14:27:53 GMT 2006

Greetings,

We have a user running MacOS X 10.4 and is password contained a special
character ':'. This users could logon and map his home directory, but when
he tried the print it would fail with

the print queue window displaying the following message:
"Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...ERROR.
Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE".

 From these two web sites it sesms that Microsoft has allow special
characters for some time.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windows2000/w2kccadm/acctpol/w2kadm07.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/technicalresources/PWDguidelines.asp

Does Samba fully support all the Windows password guidelines ?

I am more likely to point my finger at 'Print Center' since normal file
mapping works, but printing fails.

Thanks
Paul