[Samba] profiles on two domains

Matt Bernstein +systems.extlists.samba at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Fri Sep 15 11:26:25 GMT 2006

Hi,

We (being a College dept) have a staff network and a student lab, each
residing on separate networks and samba domains.

Staff can log into STAFFNET, whose PDC is STAFFSERVER.
Students can log into STULAB, whose PDC is STUDENTSERVER.

There's a one-way trust relationship between the two domains.
STUDENTSERVER is the only machine on the student network allowed to talk
to STAFFSERVER. STULAB trusts STAFFNET.

Passwords are all stored in the same LDAP database. The SIDs refer to
STAFFNET.

I'd like staff to be able to log in to STULAB, but be given a student-like
experience. With the above setup, they can authenticate to STAFFNET and so
log in to Windows, but they can't retrieve their (STAFFNET) profile or
access their home directory.

Is it possible for samba on STUDENTSERVER to mangle the profile path and
home directory for our STAFFNET users, or possibly force in what it thinks
is right for STULAB?

Thanks

Matt