[Samba] Support of Samba on RHEL4?

Alex de Vaal a.vaal at nh-hotels.com
Fri Sep 15 10:16:10 GMT 2006

Hello,

A while ago I asked what kind of Samba packages I could use on
RHEL4. If I use the packages from www.samba.org then I'd void
the support agreement with Red Hat. (...)
Downloading and investigating the latest Samba source package from
RHN (samba-3.0.10-1.4E.9.src.rpm) told me that the Samba package
of RHN is based on the native 3.0.10 Samba package of samba.org
with some necessary patches (samba-3.0.10-winbindd_2k3sp1.patch,
samba-3.0.10-ldap-failover-timeout-backport.patch are the most important
ones for me), while even the patches come from samba.org

In samba-3.0.10-ldap-failover-timeout-backport.patch I found this statement:
+	/* Setup alarm timeout.... Do we need both of these ? JRA. */

This is from Jeremy Allison of samba.org...

Is there any technical reason NOT to use the packages of samba.org on RHEL4?

Regarding the above info I'd like to use the original samba packages on
RHEL4.
If I only void support for Samba at Red Hat, so be it. I'm convinced I'm
better off
with Samba support at samba.org...

Regards,
Alex.