[Samba] samba as a file server

C'est Pierre cestpierre at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 16:28:30 GMT 2006

Hello,

I created a file server based on samba. Created several local users
with smbpasswd -a and created a minimum configuration file. All is
well with the auth, so far all users can authenticate to the fileshare
and access any files there, who were put on by root. However, there's
a few issues. If user chris creates a directory, user Pierre can't
write to it (nor the other's who aren't in the "write list"), however
I am more concerned with the ones on the write list. We've like 20
users but only a few of those shall write to the fileserver and those
shall be granted privileges to write anywhere inside the shared
folder. Any hints why this doesn't happen to work as it should? am I
missing something? Also, I am currently unable to do more tests on my
own, since my windows PC doesn't ask me a password anymore and I can't
force it. Even if I change root's password, it will always try to use
root's credentials, which I initially used to log in. The output of
test parm follows.

# testparm
Processing section "[share]"
Loaded services file OK.