[Samba] Samba Winbind Error

Randy Skaggs sdr32wfe at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 21:34:55 GMT 2006

I am attempting to setup a RHEL4 client to authenticate against a Windows 2003 R2 Active Directory Domain Controller. I am following the Samba HowTo Chapter 24 on Winbind, and everything works until I try to list out users from the AD. Here's what I get:

  # /usr/bin/wbinfo -u
  Error looking up domain users

  I can, however list out groups in this fashion:

  # /usr/bin/wbinfo -g
  BUILTIN\System Operators
  BUILTIN\Replicators
  .
  .
  .

  What I'm trying to accomplish is to have a Linux client authenticate to a Windows Server 2003 R2 Active Directory Domain Controller (not using a "scout" account for anonymous lookups) so that this user can access shared files on the Windows server.  The user is then identified as himself for the purposes of file access auditing in the Security Event Log.  I don't want to make any changes to the AD, although modifying the AD schema for Unix attributes using the new R2 tools would be ok (if needed).

  Thanks,
  Ned

Skaggs Consulting, Inc.
St. Charles, MO 63301