[Samba] inherit owner

Scott M Parrish anithri at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 21:32:26 GMT 2006

I'm having a problem with inherit owner...  it doesn't seem to work at all.

This directory is shared
drwxrwsr-t 3 projectadmin Project Authors 4096 Sep  8 15:59 testing

Using this global definitiion
# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = TEST
realm = MYDOMAIN.LOCAL
preferred master = no
server string = Masterprojects File Server
security = ADS
encrypt passwords = yes
log level = 2
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 50
winbind separator = +
winbind use default domain = Yes
winbind nested groups = Yes
template shell = /bin/bash
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
inherit acls = yes
inherit owner = yes

And this Share Definition
[testing]
comment = testing
path = /tmp/testing
browseable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
inherit acls = yes
inherit owner = yes
force create mode = 555
force directory mode = 2775
force group = "TEST+Project Authors"
guest ok = yes
guest only = no
users = @"TEST+Project Authors"

But when I connect to it and create a file it ends up looking like this
-rwxr-xr-x 1 testuser project authors    0 Sep 11 15:28 TestFile.txt.txt

Which just isn't right.  It should belong to "projectadmin" and not testuser.

In the end what I want is for members of the "TEST+Project Authors" to
be able to mount and add files to this share, but once they have been
added, to lose the ability to write and delete them.  Can anybody
point out where I've gone wrong?