[Samba] valid users and lost password on windows xp

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Mon Sep 11 13:21:33 GMT 2006

Hi all,
in my network we're using samba as a disk share for users. Each user can
access users thru his unix login name and password, but sometimes I
experience that Windows xp (prof.) loses the password, so it prompts the user
again for the it. In particular, after a smbpasswd password change, I have
one machine that, even if mounting the share as a network disk (with username
and password specified and the checkbox to store at reboot is checked) each
day requires the user to insert the password. In particular the computer
always proposes a default username composed by
\\computer_name\windows_username.
Is there any way to fix this problem? Anyone knows where and how to interact
with the stored network-password in a windows system?

Thanks,
Luca