[Samba] Mounting home directory from Windows in Linux

Shaun J. O'Callaghan Shaun.OCallaghan at durham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 7 07:55:27 GMT 2006

Hi All,

I'm using samba 3.0.10-1 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.

I'm authentication to our PDC using Winbind and also mounting our home
directory share (from Windows) onto our main Linux server such that when
a user logs on to the Linux server, their Windows home directory is
mounted also.

I'm using the domain admin account to mount the home directory share,
which I feel is probably not the best way to go about doing this because
when a user logs in to their account they can "cd .." and traverse other
user accounts.

How should this share be correctly mounted using Samba ?

I've pasted smb.conf below, I've tried multiple arrangements of 'create
mask', 'directory mask' and 'directory security mask' even though (if
I'm right) they shouldn't be needed when using winbind.

Can anybody please shed any light on this?

Kind Regards,

Shaun O'Callaghan

smb.conf

[global]