[Samba] User settings after migration

Phil Dawson phil.dawson at gedys.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 07:29:53 GMT 2006

Hi All,

We have an NT4 machine which is our PDC.  I'm looking to replace this with
one of our linux servers.  I joined the linux server to the domain ok.
Then I vampired all the accounts across which worked ok.  I then switched
off NT PDC, made samba the master and start samba service.  Problem is we
are loosing all our settings.  After a quick hunt around I noticed a new
profiles directory was created on my machine.

To elaborate:

Say we have a domain called MORGAN and a user called jbarnes: when using
the NT4 PDC he had a directory under Documents and Settings called
jbarnes.  When he logged on to the linux PDC a new folder was created
called jbarnes.MORGAN.

Users loose all their settings  :(

Can we make windows use the same profiles directory after migration?
Why is windows creating a new profile folder?

Thanks in advance.

Phil.