[Samba] Unable to locate Domain Controller

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Sep 6 15:36:41 GMT 2006

pkariuki at strathmore.ac.ke wrote:
> Hello,
> Ive installed Samba 3 ... however, when I try to add a machine to the domain I
> get the error that the domain controller cannot be contacted... I am able to
> login through \\server\folder... however, when I try to add the same machine to
> the domain, I get an error saying the domain controller cannot be contacted on
> the windows machine ..(winxp...)... Any ideas?

    There's a few things besides having the proper settings in your smb.conf

    1. If the workstation is currently in a workgroup for the domain you
wish to join, you need to take it out of that workgroup. The current
work group cannot match the domain you wish to join.

    2. You cannot have any mounts or even browsed connections to the
domain controller in order to join the workstation to the domain. To
correct this, open up the windows command prompt and type in the
following case sensitive command:

    net use * /D

    This will disconnect ALL connections from the workstation to the
domain controller.

    If you smb.conf file is configured properly, try the above and see
if that corrects the issue.

    Regards,
    Rob