[Samba] extending files slow on FAT filesystems

Mattias Rönnblom hofors at lysator.liu.se
Mon Sep 4 18:40:55 GMT 2006

Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 02:55:58PM +0200, Mattias Rönnblom wrote:
> > Both strict and not strict allocation policy are painfully slow on
> > VFAT.
> >
> > Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off this "truncate-
> > before-write" behavior in the Windows SMB client?
>
> If "strict allocate = no" is slow, then it's a function of
> the VFAT driver code, not Samba or the client. You'll have
> to fix it there.

Is that a "no"? :-)

I agree the VFAT solution is the right way of fixing it, but I could
live with workarounds as well. Pre-allocating space before writing is
not strictly necessary, as far as I can tell.

I do not know enough about FAT to know if it's even possible to
implement an efficient truncate operation.

Regards,
        Mattias