[Samba] Linux as PDC

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Fri Sep 1 15:41:06 GMT 2006

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Rob Watkin wrote:
> I will post the latest version smb.conf file below. I have followed the
> instructions in http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-
> Collection/FastStart.html section "Domain Controller" for the most part.
>
> I have one server (TAU) and one Windows XP client (vm-201). I can get
> vm-201 to join my BC workgroup but not the domain. I am rebooting the XP
> machine and restarting samba on TAU between experiments.
>
> I have just noticed the following error in the log file which I think is
> at the bottom of all this! When I try to get the XP box to join the BC
> domain it asks for a username and password, I give tom ****** and then

I have to admit that I myself don't understand the exact
requirements on what type of account is required here, but
it must be some sort of administrator account, not a regular
user account, that you use to join to the domain.  So you
need to use root, or possibly some other privileged account,
but I know root works.

   - Logan