[Samba] ads_kinit_password failed: Preauthentication failed

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 13:31:18 GMT 2006

Lachlan,

One more thing--make sure that your Samba server and your domain servers
are in step with the correct time (NTP helps). If your Samba server
attempts to authenticate against the domain and doesn't have the correct
time, authentication can (and usually does) fail from what I've seen
with ADS on Windows 2003 (native mode).

I run into that problem occasionally when for one reason or another,
RHEL decides to stop polling NTP to update the time and loses time (RHEL
on VMWare is screwy BTW).

Hope that helps.

Aaron Kincer