[Samba] Linux as PDC

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Fri Sep 1 13:25:26 GMT 2006

Rob,

    Post your smb.conf file, remove identifying information or
substitute it for something else, such as IP Address ranges and
Server/Workgroup names. You may also wish to cut out any information
about the shares as well.

    Beyond that, with these workstations you are attempting to join to
the domain, are they already in a workgroup using the same name as the
domain? Also, do they have any mounted drives on the server you are
setting up as the Samba PDC?

    Both of those will cause a failure for Samba to allow the creation
of computer accounts and Domain joining.

    If the computers are not part of DomainX and are part of WorkGroupY,
but you have a share from the PDC of DomainX mounted, type the following
in the Windows command line...

   net use * /D (Yes, with a capital D)

    This will disconnect all connections to the server and will allow
you to join the workstation to the domain, just fine.

--

    Regards,
    Robert Adkins