[Samba] Archive bit oddities

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 13:07:07 GMT 2006

Hello everyone,

I've been scouring the web, reading documentation and experimenting with
settings and I am having no luck in getting the behavior of the archive
bit to be anywhere near expected. I have the file foo.txt in the
personal folder that has the ADS group DOMAIN USERS with read/write
capability (660). When the user jsmith (domain user) modifies the file,
the archive bit is not set. Similarly, CA Brightstor seems incapable of
clearing the archive bit when doing backups if the backup user is not
the owner.

It seems to come down to this--if the user isn't the owner, the archive
bit cannot be automagically cleared by applications. The user can
manually set and clear, but that doesn't help. Also, unless I
misunderstand what force user does, that isn't an option for security
reasons.

All the stuff I've seen on the lists say that dos filemode = yes and/or
map archive = yes are what is needed. I've tried all the combinations of
having those two set/not set and I can say with confidence that in this
configuration, they patently do not fix the issue.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance. Configuration below.

Aaron Kincer

The configuration:

Server: RHEL 4 Update 2
Platform: VMWare
Samba Version:  3.0.10-1.4E.9

smb.conf
----------

#Global Settings

[global]

# Settings

    kernel oplocks = yes
    client use spnego = no
    server signing = auto
    client signing = auto
    nt acl support = yes

# Share Behavior

    inherit permissions = yes
    store dos attributes = yes
    dos filemode = yes
    dos filetimes = yes
    dos filetime resolution = yes
    acl compatibility = auto
    map archive = yes
    map system = no
    map hidden = no
    directory security mask = 0777

# Domain Settings

    workgroup = DOMAIN
    server string = SERVERNAME
    os level = 0
    preferred master = no
    announce as = NT Server
    announce version = 4.9
    browse list = yes
    domain master = no
    local master = no
    enhanced browsing = yes
    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    winbind use default domain = no
    winbind enum groups = yes
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind separator = +
    realm = DOMAIN.LOCAL

# Security

    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
    security = ads
    password server = *
    encrypt passwords = yes

# Logging