[Samba] CIFS mounting - can a remote directory be specified?

fuzzix fuzzix at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 12:27:39 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to mount a Windows share, which I am able to browse
successfully with smbclient, with mount.cifs. I run smbclient as follows:

$ smbclient //host/share$ -U user -D dir -W DOMAIN

-D being the remote directory changed to before the smbclient shell
appears (as I understand it) - this works fine.

I'm running mount.cifs as follows:

# mount.cifs //host/share$ local/ -o user=user,domain=DOMAIN

But I get the error "mount error 20 = Not a directory"

When I specify the remote directory in the share's path...:

# mount.cifs //host/share$/dir/ local/ -o user=user,domain=DOMAIN

...I get "mount error 6 = No such device or address" - it's no longer
recognised as a share.

Is there a way to specify the remote directory in the mount.cifs
parameters in the same manner as with smbclient?

Client:
Debian stable, Linux 2.6.18 (with CIFS & SMB support built in), Samba
3.0.14a-Debian.

Server:
Windows Server 2003 (This is all I know - I do not have physical access)

Many thanks,

fuzz