[Samba] Samba locking fails over NFS

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Oct 31 07:43:00 GMT 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 04:11:34PM -0700, Darren Gamble wrote:

> If Samba is trying to issue a 64-bit lock, that obviously is not going
> to work since NFS is 32-bit.  I'm not sure how this could be a NFS
> issue, unless you're expecting the server to re-map it as 32-bit.  Maybe
> I'm missing something here?

Well if the underlying OS exports a 64-bit locking interface
then Samba expects it to actually work. If it's running over
a filesystem that doesn't support it then it's the kernel's
job to map the 64-bit requests to whatever the underlying
transport expects. So maybe it'd be more accurate to describe
it as a nfs client redirector bug :-).

Jeremy.