[Samba] Cant login to Samba PDC

Diego Julian Remolina diego.remolina at ibb.gatech.edu
Mon Oct 30 19:40:57 GMT 2006

I think I had that issue in the past and was related to netbios. If you are running a firewall, did
you open all the samba ports on your gentoo box to the network?

This is an iptables sample used on a RHEL4 machine:
# Allow samba shares to my subnets
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s X.Y.Z.0/24 -m multiport -p tcp --dports 139,445 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s X.Y.Z.0/24 -m multiport -p tcp --dports 139,445 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s X.Y.Z.0/24 -m multiport -p tcp --dports 139,445 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s X.Y.Z.0/24 -m multiport -p udp --dports 137,138 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s X.Y.Z.0/24 -m multiport -p udp --dports 137,138 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s X.Y.Z.0/24 -m multiport -p udp --dports 137,138 -j ACCEPT

If your gentoo system has the tcp wrappers option enabled as a USE flag, then make sure your
smb.conf file has:

hosts allow = X.Y.Z. 127.0.0.
hosts deny = ALL

X.Y.Z. is your network, note the "." at the end.

Try each solution at a time, remember to restart iptables after changing the file and restarting
samba if you change smb.conf or at list forcing it to reload.

Diego