[Samba] Excel Read only file bug back on 3.0.23x?

Diego Julian Remolina diego.remolina at ibb.gatech.edu
Mon Oct 30 17:49:59 GMT 2006

Hi,

I believe that the BUG 2346 which was resolved in samba 3.0.14 has come back in the 3.0.23 series.
Here is what I have noticed on two separate configurations. The samba packages were built on each
machine using rpmbuild with the SRPMS provided for Fedora in the samba web site.

Configuration 1.
Two machines running with RHEL4, samba 3.0.23b-1, drbd-0.7.21 protocol C.
Kernel: 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp

Configuration 2.
Two machines running with CentOS 4, samba 3.0.23c-4, drbd-0.7.21 protocol C.
Kernel: 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp

I do not believe none of this is related to DRBD, but I mention it just in case. The problem occurs
as follows:

1. User Alice opens an excel files owned by her, makes changes and saves it.
2. User Bob opens the same file which Alice just saved and makes come changes. When Bob saves the
file, he gets a warning that there is a problem and that changes could not be saved, however changes
are saved.
3. Either Alice or Bob try to open the file and now it is a read only file.

The only way anyone can save the file is if they first right click on it and uncheck the read-only
checkbos prior to openning. However, the next time a different user opens the file and saves it, the
problem comes back.

Are there any settings that can be changed in smb.conf to help prevent this front happening? Is
anyone else experiencing this behaviour? Is it possible that the BUG 2346 came back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Diego