[Samba] Samba Breaks with ACLs

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon Oct 30 15:51:45 GMT 2006

Hello,

We are running Samba 3.0.23c on Debian.

Over the weekend, we updated out file server to Debian's kernel 2.6.18.  We
had previously never run a kernel with ACL support enabled.  Since the
upgrade, we are seeing very strange permission behavior.  It appears to be
related to POSIX ACL support in Samba.

It seems that what's happening is this.

We have a number of files that are user/group writable (permissions 0664).
When a user that is someone other than the Unix owner of the file writes to
it, the permissions switch to 0474 (-r--rwxr--) and an ACL is added with
this second user getting read/write permission to it.

Unfortunately, the Unix owner of the file now is locked out of writing to
it.

We never had any problem with permissions on these files before using the
ACL-enabled kernel.

Is there a way to completely disable POSIX ACL support at runtime, and have
Samba just revert back to its behavior when on a filesystem that does not
support POSIX ACLs?

Or, better yet, is there a way to fix this behavior?

Thanks,

-- John