[Samba] Limiting smbd process / active sessions of Samba server

Alain.Gorlier at altissemiconductor.com Alain.Gorlier at altissemiconductor.com
Mon Oct 30 10:34:20 GMT 2006

As described in the Samba documentation, one smbd process is started for
each new session/connection.
When a new client connects to a Samba server, a new smbd process is
started.

During out tests, we noticed that :
- The owner of this smbd process on the samba server is the id of the
client .
- If the client is inactive for 60 seconds, the owner of smbd process
become "root".
- If the client reuse the connection after 60 seconds, the client reuses
the same smbd process on the samba server and the smbd process owner
become the id of the client again.
- If the client explicitly disconnect from the samba server, the smbd
process is stopped on the samba server.

As we plan to use Samba server for 1000 clients and as each client doesn't
use the samba server very ofter, we would like to limit the number of smbd
process.
These clients are running applications that doesn't disconnect
explicitely.

Is there a way to tune the 60 seconds timeout ?
Is there a way to stop smbd process when this timeout is reached ?
Is there a way to limit the max number of smbd process ? (we tried to use
"max smbd processes" but it doesn't seem to work).

Regards,