[Samba] Solved for 1/1300?

dkemper at intellisys-is.com dkemper at intellisys-is.com
Sun Oct 29 16:35:22 GMT 2006

Hello,

Discrete Mathematics Question; how did the samba developers conclude that the default mangling method "hash" results in a probability-of-name-clash of 1/1300?

Please note, I am not looking for samba solutions here, just intensely curious on how this number was solved for.

For instance,

Q: What is considered the sample space of all possible file names here, were the "-" and "_" taken into account?

Q: Are we considering all possible filename are equally likely to occur?

Jeremy A, perhaps you know?

Daniel