[Samba] Mounting XP box - ERRnoaccess (solved)

Sami kitten at iki.fi
Fri Oct 27 20:01:43 GMT 2006

 > I've had this problem since last reinstall of XP. When
 > I try to mount XP share on my linux, I get this error
 > message:
 > # mount -t smbfs -o username=me //aoi/backup /mnt/tmp/
 > Password:<my pass here>
 > 24321: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess
 > (Access denied.)
 > SMB connection failed

---clipclip---

I finally managed to crack this problem and wanted to post the solution.

After searching some tracks in the net, I found a piece of information
that adviced to use smbclient tool. So I said:
smbclient -U me //aoi/backup (-U stating username)

This gave me response:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_TYPE_NOT_GRANTED

After tedious looking here and there I found this page:
http://pcal.net/blog/archives/2004/10/xp_samba_woes.html

I'll briefly refer here the key points:
- Open Local Security Settings (run -> secpol.msc)
- Ensure that "Security Options - Network Access: Sharing and Security
for local accounts" is set to "Classic - local users authenticate as
themselves".
- Ensure that "User Rights Assignment - Access this computer from the
network" -list contains the user or the group you're using for logging
in to the XP box.

This last task cracked it for me after adding my user to the list. Now
smbclient and mount both can access the XP box.

Hope this helps others in similar situation.
BR, Sami