[Samba] Authentication problem netbios vs ip address

Dennis Clark Dennis.Clark at patten.edu
Fri Oct 27 07:16:49 GMT 2006

I can access resources just fine if I type the ip address in the UNC \\192.168.1.0\vol1 but not if I use the netbios name \\linuxserver\vol1.  The latter usage results in a prompt for user ID and PW.  If I login as root it works, if I login as any other user in spite of assigned rights, login is rejected.  Users are assigned to domain admin, all shares are configured to allow full access to domain admin.  What is the problem here?