[Samba] Users Losing Data - Excel Files Not Locking Properly

Roland Hordos rolandhordos at tundraeng.com
Fri Oct 27 15:43:16 GMT 2006

Hi,

We have a problem like I've never seen in 8 years of running Samba in
production.  Two users can overwrite each other's open Excel
spreadsheets.  It occurs very infrequently, basically randomly, never
happens on a recently restarted smbd instance, and is extremely
difficult to troubleshoot due to samba switching process ownership from
the user to "root" shortly after opening.  I have witnessed the problem
in action just recently where, when the second user opens the
spreadsheet it doesn't prompt with it's usual "File is opened for
editing by .." message box, lsof says the file is opened by root only,
and proceeds to allow both users to edit and overwrite each others work.
Try another spreadsheet in the same area, and it works fine.  More
details on troubleshooting with LSOF in my other posting, which has not
received any responses.  Am ready to abandon Samba after many years of
faithful use -- am open to any insight on this.

Running latest production release (3.0.23c).  Running winbind in domain
mode.  Use CIFS mount points instead of NFS now to other LAN storage
areas.  I see the docs indicate that if you specify "admin users" on a
share, that all operations will be done as root, but I do not use this.
My global and a typical share setup is below.

Thank you.

Roland Hordos

_Details_

[global]