[Samba] smbd Process Changes Ownership - lsof output

Roland Hordos rolandhordos at tundraeng.com
Thu Oct 26 18:22:10 GMT 2006

Hi,

When using lsof, I see that smbd changes ownership from the actual user
who made the connection, to root.  Also seeing odd behavior with certain
files accessed from XP boxes suddenly becoming "read only" to the user
mid edit, and appears to be related.

Ex:  lsof output at 8:45 AM:
smbd      11987   user1  cwd       DIR      253,3     4096     704687
/home/Shares/Groups

within a minute later, the same process apparently changes ownership:
smbd      11987          root  cwd       DIR      253,3     4096
704687 /home/Shares/Groups

packages:
samba-swat-3.0.23c-1.fc5
samba-3.0.23c-1.fc5

Running winbind in domain mode.  There's never a problem listing user
and group info off of the Win2k domain controller using wbinfo.  I see
the docs indicate that if you specify "admin users" on a share, that all
operations will be done as root, but I do not use this.  My global and a
typical share setup is below.  I would appreciate any advice / insight
here.

Thank you.

Roland Hordos

_______Details_________________________________