[Samba] smbldap-tools, gecos, & displayName

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 22:22:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I am using the Idealx smbldap scripts to manage my samba users in an
OpenLDAP backend.

The smbldap.conf specifies the value for the gecos attribute, which is then
propogated to the displayName attribute by the smbldap-useradd script.  As a
result when I log on to windows the user is displayed as "System User" in
the start menu (and presumably other places as well).  Ideally there would
be a way to make displayName default to the username if not otherwise
specified.  Does anyone know how to do this short of modifying the
smbldap-useradd script?

Thanks