[Samba] Windows XP Pro can not join Samba 3 on RHLE4

Georges I. Carraha CarrahaG at arubadigital.com
Wed Oct 25 14:41:10 GMT 2006

Hello

We can not get our Windows XP Pro workstation to join Samba 3 running on
RHLE4 configured as a PDC.  We are running Samba 3.0.10-1.4E.9.

We have done the following:
. configured the smb.conf.  A copy of it is below:
[global]
        workgroup = RUCLASERVICES
        netbios name = RUCLASERVICES
        server string = rs-svr1
        passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon path = \\%L\home\%U\profile
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%L\home\%U\data
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 33
        domain master = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.

. We have added the root password to smbpasswd.
. DNS is working fine because we can ping the netbios name of the client
pc from the server and vice versa.
. We have run the tests in the SAMBA manual using teh smbclient and
nmblookup commands and they have passed successfully.

When we try to join the domain from the workstation we enter the NETBIOS
name for the DOMAIN.   We then get the prompt for the username and
password for an account that has permissions to join teh domain.  We
enter that username and password for the "root" account on the SAMBA
server.  It then comes back several seconds later with the message:

   The following error occurred attempting to join the domain
"RUCLASERVICES":  The username could not be found.

We have had no luck figuring out why this is the case.  Can anyone tell
us if we are leaving out a step?

Regards,
Georges Carraha
mailto:CarrahaG at arubadigital.com