[Samba] Roaming Profile Folders Pulled Over Read-Only

Justin Churchey jchurchey at mountdesales.net
Fri Oct 20 15:53:00 GMT 2006

Hello,

I'm using Samba 3.0.14a-3 on Debian 3.1 (Sarge). It's functioning as a
domain controller for a lot of WinXP SP2 machines. As such, it serves up
roaming profiles for most of our staff. I've noticed that all of the
folders in the root of the profile are pulled over as read-only. The
UNIX permissions for a user's profile on the server is 700, and I'm not
sure why WinXP is interpreting this as read-only.

Everywhere I read, as long as a user as write permission on the server,
it's not read-only. I've tried maping the system, archive, and hidden
bits in the configuration and changing the permissions to 600, but no
luck there.

The only real issue that this has been causing is problems with IE
cookies. The read-only bit is keeping IE from using the Cookies folder
properly, causing problems with logging in with some websites. It's
mostly interfering with our company website and its functionality.

Any ideas?

--
Justin Churchey
Network Engineer