[Samba] Mounting XP box - ERRnoaccess

shaid dus shaiddus at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 06:37:18 GMT 2006

Greetings, list.

I've had this problem since last reinstall of XP. When
I try to mount XP share on my linux, I get this error
message:
# mount -t smbfs -o username=me //aoi/backup /mnt/tmp/
Password:<my pass here>
24321: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess
(Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

I've checked that the shared folder in XP has full
control access for me and for everyone. I also tried
anynomous login:
# mount -t smbfs //aoi/backup /mnt/tmp/
Password:<plain enter here>
Anonymous login successful
24325: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess
(Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

I also tried by removing my password. Same result as
trying anonymously. The thing which gives me ticks is
that I get ERRnoaccess after "anonymous login
successful".

First I doubted this was XP problem since reinstall
broke it. I checked Windows error log which said that
computer browser had timeouted when I tried to mount.
After looking for solution for this, I found out that
this happens if I have stopped windows firewall
service. After enabling the service and rebooting
windows comp I tried again. The problem persisted
although the error didn't appear anymore in the
windows log.

I've tried mounting linux's local smb shares and they
work just fine.

Samba 3.0.23c, Windows XP SP2.

Here is testparm output (If it matters something. I
only know smbmount checks this):
[global]
        unix charset = iso8859-15
        display charset = iso8859-15
        workgroup = MYGROUP (Same with windows box)
        server string = Shiro
        log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        load printers = No
        dns proxy = No
        hosts allow = 10.0.0., 127.

/var/log/samba.log.smbmount does not say anything
about this.

Thank you for the help (and apologies for all the
relevant information I forgot to include)
-Sami