[Samba] 3.0.23c: cannot access LDAP when not root

Peter Rindfuss rindfuss at wz-berlin.de
Thu Oct 19 17:25:08 GMT 2006

Hi Everybody,

I have set up a Samba 3.0.23c PDC with LDAP and ACLs on Suse 10.0.
Things seem to work fine, but log.smbd gets filled with many

   smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root

messages whenever I move around on the mounted user share using Windows
XP Explorer from a client computer. More precisely, whenever I move the
cursor to a new subfolder in explorer, I get a new bunch of the above
messages in log.smbd, the quantity apparently depending on the number of
ACL entries for the folder.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Let me know if you need more information, smb.conf and extended logs.

TIA, Peter Rindfuss

Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin fuer Sozialforschung
(Social Science Research Center Berlin, Germany)