[Samba] AIX 5.2 Samba 3.0.23c Samba peculiarities

mark.cuthbert at yorkshirewater.co.uk mark.cuthbert at yorkshirewater.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 11:29:09 GMT 2006

Hi All,

After successfully installing the AIX Binaries (Thanks Bill), and manageing
to join as a ADS Domain Member I have a couple of peculiarities of which I
need to get to the bottom.

Problem A

When connecting to a share, I can connect OK , and get authenticated OK, I
can create files in the share and open files in the share, but cannot list
files in the share or delete files I have created.

Additionally, our domain structure is as follows

Active Directory
YW.KELDA
CORP.YW.KELDA

NT4
YWS

The Samba machine is  a member of the CORP domain, and users from both CORP
and YWS can authenticate  against the SAMBA Share using winbind, but I
cannot authenticate from the YW domain ( which is where the majority of
users that will be useing the share are located).

What information should I supply to allow the investigation of these issues

[wmsprod1:root]/usr/local/samba/var> testparm
Load smb config files from /opt/pware/samba/3.0.23c/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[testshare]"
Processing section "[wisk]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
 ^H
[global]
        display charset = UTF8
        workgroup = CORP
        realm = CORP.YW.KELDA
        security = ADS
        password server = CORPAD1.YW.KELDA
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map
        log level = 3
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind enum users = Yes
        winbind enum groups = Yes

[testshare]
        comment = Test Share
        path = /tempfiles/testshare
        username = @"CORP.YW.KELDA\domain users", @"YW.KELDA\domain users"
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777

[wisk]
        comment = WISK Share
        path = /tempfiles/home/runtime/is/wisk
        username = @"CORP.YW.KELDA\domain users", @"YW.KELDA\domain users"
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777

>From Windows

C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.CORP>net use * \\wmsprod1\testshare
Drive Y: is now connected to \\wmsprod1\testshare.

The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.CORP>y:

Y:\>dir
 Volume in drive Y is testshare
 Volume Serial Number is 09A1-4CA2

 Directory of Y:\

File Not Found

Y:\>notepad wheresthefile

Y:\>dir
 Volume in drive Y is testshare
 Volume Serial Number is 09A1-4CA2

 Directory of Y:\

File Not Found

Y:\>type wheresthefile.txt
This is a test file cretaed by notepad

Why can I not see it in a directory listing
Y:\>del wheresthefile.txt
Could Not Find Y:\wheresthefile.txt

>From SMB Client

[wmsprod1:root]/usr/local/samba/var> smbclient \\\\wmsprod1\\wisk
-UYWS\\cuthbertm$
Password:
Domain=[CORP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c]
smb: \> md imc
NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_COLLISION making remote directory \imc
smb: \> md imc3
smb: \> cd imc3
smb: \imc3\> ls
NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE listing \imc3\*

                0 blocks of size 0. 2 blocks available
smb: \imc3\> put log.wmsprod1
putting file log.wmsprod1 as \imc3\log.wmsprod1 (5582.7 kb/s) (average
5582.7 kb/s)
smb: \imc3\> ls
NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE listing \imc3\*

                0 blocks of size 0. 2 blocks available
smb: \imc3\> rm log.wmsprod1
NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE listing \imc3\log.wmsprod1
smb: \imc3\>

For tips on how you can save water in your garden this summer visit
http://www.yorkshirewater.com/waterefficiency

YORKSHIRE WATER - WINNER OF THE UTILITY OF THE YEAR AWARD 2004 AND
2005

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be
legally privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only
and are subject to the legal notice available at
http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm Yorkshire Water Services
Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682