[Samba] LDAP with SAMBA not as PDC

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Wed Oct 18 16:31:45 GMT 2006

Richard Bulman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an existing SAMBA setup on a file server, for the purpose of
> managing
> file shares, and that alone. I now wish to move my authorisation over to
> LDAP. I have had little effort in finding any solution that doesn't
> involve
> setting samba up as a PDC. All i require is SAMBA to authenticate users
> against LDAP. Any help is greatly appreciated :).
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Richard
I'm a little rusty on this, but I believe that a server that
authenticates users against its own list of accounts is a domain
controller. If it was a member of another domain then it should be
getting the authentication from it. At any rate, I don't see what you
gain by doing everything as if it was a domain controller except that
you don't want to call it a controller. Maybe that's just me.  :)

However, if what you want to do is to maintain a local list of accounts
using LDAP, then you possibly should be looking at the PAM howtos.