FW: [Samba] Re: Migration NT4 domain to Samba/LDAP howto

Paul van Noort polleke at yfc.nl
Wed Oct 18 12:28:23 GMT 2006

Thanks for the help.. I got some reading matter for the upcoming fall
holiday ;-)

Questions so far that come to mind are:
My current Windows 2003 server must stay! It is the Application server: can
Samba act as a PDC with this machine in its domain? Or will win2003 try to
take over. It is just a member server.. Not a BDC.

Can i map the current users on my NT domain to LDAP users on my LDAP
directory. These users have an a-mail account and password in place! Will
this cause headaches?

Thanks for the quick response untill now!

"Paul van Noort" <polleke at yfc.nl> wrote in message
news:20061017113539.A84FC18EB3 at papias.yfc.nl...
> folks,
>
> Been searching the web and learned i can add samba to my Current NT4
domain.
> I guess i can promote my Samba machine to PDC afterwards then depreciating
> the NT machines (finally)..
>
> I have an LDAP driven mailserver and i would like to have an "one key fits
> all" system where my LDAP directory handles the accounts for Samba And
> Postfix/imap on my mailserver (and in a later stage the intranet).
>
> Any thoughts on the best way to migrate the NT4 domain into the new
> situation?
>
> Help, links to cookbooks, general tips are appreciated
>

> Vriendelijke groeten,
> Paul van Noort

Have a look at Samba 3 by Example.
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

Chapter 9 tells you how to do this.  You may also want to look at Chapter 5.
This has info. on using LDAP with Samba 3.

You can migrate all the user and computer info. from your NT 4.0 PDC
straight to Samba.  When you shutdown your NT box and activate your Samba
box, the users/client machines will not know the difference.