[Samba] domain-member and groups

mich at bomb.dk mich at bomb.dk
Tue Oct 17 14:19:26 GMT 2006

List,

I've got a fileserver running (as a domain-member) on a NT4 domain. It
seems to be working fine... (I'm using winbind/nss for uids and gids)

When a user creates a folder on the share, it is owned by him - fx:

drwxr-xr-x   2 administrateur  wheel  512 Oct 17 15:44 again/

(where administrateur is attached to the NT domain)

Now - all files created are owned by the correct user, but "wheel" is
always the group.. How can I have the default group (on the domain)
setup up as group owner ?

Also - with this setup I am unable to change rights on the created
folders - fx. assigned read rights to a group on the domain.

I'm running samba-3.0.23c on FreeBSD-6.1

smb.conf:
---------
[global]
        workgroup = ICOM
        netbios name = BSDBOX
        server string = "FreeBSD 6.1"
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = 192.168.2.2
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins
        load printers = No
        show add printer wizard = No
        os level = 34
        local master = no
        domain master = False
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.2.2
        ;idmap uid = 10000-20000
        ;idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind cache time = 10
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind nested groups = yes
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        template shell = /usr/local/bin/zsh
        guest account = nobody
        dos charset = 866
        unix charset = koi8-r
        message command = wall `echo from %m: `` cat %s`;
        fam change notify = no

[Home]
    comment = Home Directory
    path = /home/HOME
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = no
    read only = no

/etc/nsswitch.conf
--------------------
group: files winbind
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: files winbind
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files

wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g prints all users and group (on the domain).

'getent passwd' lists all users locally and on the domain
'getent group' lists all groups locally and on the domain

Any help would be much appreciated !

Mike