[Samba] Home Directories on the fly?

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 16:28:34 GMT 2006

If I understand you correctly, you have user jsmith that wants to
connect to /your_samba_share_root/home/jsmith (or whatever your home
path is). When your Windows XP users login to the domain, they are not
getting their home directories mapped.

If this is the case, your home directory mapping is the job of Active
Directory itself. Are you using your Samba server as an AD member
server? If not and it is all Windows based domain controllers, you need
to setup your home share configuration in the user account in AD.

1) Open Active Dirctory Users and Computers (on your DC or local PC if
you installed it there)
2) Right-click on the user account jsmith (or whatever) and select
Properties
3) Click the Profile tab
4) Click the Connect option button
5) Select the drive letter you want the share to be under (we use H for
Home)
6) Put in the full UNC path (i.e. \\your_samba_server_name\home\jsmith)
7) Click OK
8) Close Active Directory Users and Computers

Ta da!

NOTES: When creating new users, you can copy an existing user and it
will automatically add this configuration to the new user account AND
create their home share on the Samba server IFF you give domain full
rights to the /home folder. You MUST go back and configure permissions
properly on this folder after creating a new account. You need to be
diligent and consistent when choosing a global home share. Make sure you
don't later try to map a drive to that letter. It won't work.

HTH,

Aaron Kincer