[Samba] issues adding XP clients to domain

Sirt Mellema sirt at mellema.org
Thu Oct 12 15:28:57 GMT 2006

Hi Group,

I have a nasty problem keeping me busy for some time now, I have a
samba3 server on Solaris10 who has worked for several years with win98
clients. Now we want to migrate to XP and the domain part is giving me
trouble.

I am rather new to windows XP and domaining so be patient with me please.

My smb.con looks like this :

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.10.10 (192.168.10.10)
# Date: 2006/10/09 22:43:09

# Global parameters
[global]
        server string = Samba Server
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        interfaces = 192.168.10.10/24
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        null passwords = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        guest account = sirtm
        passwd program = passwd
        log file = /var/adm/log/smblog.log.%m
        max log size = 5000
        time server = Yes
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u %g
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
        logon script = %U.bat
        logon drive = I:
        logon home = \\%N\%U\profile
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 240
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = yes
        nameresolve order = lmhosts hosts wins
        dns proxy = No
        ldap ssl = no
        admin users = root, sirtm, administrator, Administrator
        printer admin = +staff
        hosts allow = 192.168.10., 192.168.20., 127.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /export/home/%U
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /space/samba/netlogon
        guest ok = Yes
        share modes = No

[Profiles]
        comment = User Profiles
        path = /space/samba/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = No

Omitted some shares as not relevant !

My Soalris server is DNS server as well, I am pointing this out here as
I read articles on the web that claim you need some SVC records in your
DNS to get MS clients to discover who is the Domain master, and that's
exacty where my problem lies.

When I want to add a XP client to my domain, it claims it is unable to
find the Domain master, The message windows XP gives:

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service
location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for
domain WORKGROUP:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.WORKGROUP

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
child zone:

. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

And this is where I am stuck for some time now, I have added the SVC
records from a posting on the web from some time ago, but the syntax is
from a linux BIND version that my Solaris system does not understand.
Furthermore I can't understand the need for this SVC records, as they
point to ldap ports 389 and I am not running LDAP on my server.

Can someone point me in the right direction ? If more input or log files
is needed, pls let me know.

Regards, Sirt