[Samba] Architecture VPN and Samba with ADS 2003 help needed

Guillaume Riviere guillaume.riviere at vslitc.com
Thu Oct 12 07:31:11 GMT 2006

Henrik Zagerholm wrote:
> As I remember the winbind offline is something different  and won't be
> a substitute for a member server.
> I really haven't had the time yet to look into this new mode but would
> be interested in any findings you make.
>
> You are already using kerberos correct?
> What is your security setting in smb.conf?

Dear Henrik,
I did not use Kerberos yet, my configuration is very simple.

Do you think I should use it ?
What is windbind offline mode ? If I understand well  is more a client
feature
than a server feature, right ?

I join the domain with:
#> net rpc join -S myserver.mydomain -U Administrator%password

and my smb.conf is:

[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        server string = File server for Office 2
        encrypt passwords = true
        password server = myserver.mydomain
        netbios name = office2_fs
        security = DOMAIN
        show add printer wizard = No
        idmap uid = 15000-20000
        idmap gid = 15000-20000
        winbind separator = +
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        winbind cache time = 3600
        use sendfile = Yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        enhanced browsing = No
        client schannel = no
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        load printers = yes

> Cheers
>
> 12 okt 2006 kl. 07:01 skrev Guillaume Riviere:
>
>> Henrik Zagerholm wrote:

>>> Where did you read that? :)

>>> Pure ADS member with AD replication is not available inte the SAMBA
>>> 3 branch yet. SAMBA 4 is supposed to handle this but is currently
>>> only in TP4 pre alpha stage and should only be used in testing
>>> purposes.

>>> Unfortunately I think that the best solution is to have a W2003 at
>>> the second office also until SAMBA 4 is stable but hopefully some
>>> more experienced samba users have another idea. :)

>>> Cheers,
>>> henrik

>> Dear Henrik, Dear All,
>>
>> What about the new offline mode in winbind (in 3.0.23) ? can it solve
>> the problem ?
>> do I need to install pam and kerberos for this ?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Guillaume
>> --

*   Guillaume RIVIERE*
   IT Projects Manager 	*www.vsl.com* <http://www.vsl.com>
  	Phone: +84 8 8 10 68 17
Mobile: +84 90 95 38 9 00
Fax:     +84 8 8 10 68 18
Email: guillaume.riviere at vslitc.com <Mailto:guillaume.riviere at vslitc.com>

	*VSL IT Center*
R-212, E-town building, 364 Cong Hoa Street, Ward 13, Tan Binh District
  Hochiminh City - Vietnam

Any data and information contained in this electronic mail are personal,
confidential and secret. Any total or partial publication, use or
distribution must be authorized.
If you are not the good addressee, we ask you not to read, copy, use or
disclose this communication. Please notify this error to the sender and
erase at once this communication from your system.
All views or opinions expressed in this electronic message are those of
the sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of VSL International
Ltd or its subsidiaries.