[Samba] Problems on FC4 with roaming profiles

Hans du Plooy koffiejunkielistlurker at koffiejunkie.za.net
Wed Oct 11 21:49:44 GMT 2006

Hi guys,

I do seme help-out work for a company whose IT guys setup a FC4 box with
Samba (fully up to date via YUM) running as a DC.  The client desktops
are all identical (at least after they got stolen and replaced).
Profiles are roaming, so the users can log on on any machine.  The
software they run is fairly limited - Office 2003, Outlook with
Communigate Pro plugin, Norman antivirus, Adobe reader.  That's about
it.

The problem is that logging in gets slower and slower, logging out even
more so and on a lot of machines just never finish.   I have moved "My
Documents" out of the profile and into the mapped "home" shares, to
bring down the size of the profiles.  This helps a little, but before
long it slows down again.  There is only one more thing I can think of -
somehow cause samba to exclude the Outlook offline store (in
$profile/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook/Outlook/) but even if I
delete it, log out, login to the server, make sure it's deleted there,
log in again on the workstation, and logout without opening Outlook (so
that store isn't created again), I still get the same problem.  Still,
the profiles tend to be under 2GB.

The domain users have no prevs on their machines, so they can't mess up
Windows.

What bothers me even more is that I have the exact same smb.conf on a
number of SUSE (9.1 through 10.0) and Debian Sarge/Etch servers, and on
those networks I never have this problem, even where the machines are
all different, use various bits of different software, the domain user
account have local admin prevs, and profiles are up to 10GB.

Is there any reason for this to happen?  Is it just FC4's samba that's
buggy (like just about everything else seems to be on FC4) or is there a
real cause for this?

Thanks
Hans