[Samba] somewhat OT--windows logon script

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 23:44:17 GMT 2006

Rory,

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my logon scripts, I delete shares
before mapping them because Windows exhibits very strange behavior sometimes
with shares. Anyone who has ever gotten the amusing error "connection cannot
be restored" or whatever it says knows what I mean. Deleting and recreating
shares every login guarantees that the shares are good at that moment.

The downsides are that the time to execute the login script goes up. Well,
rather it stays approximately the same speed each time. Also, users
sometimes try to open networked files before the drive using that file is
deleted and restored or even worse, they open the file using the previous
day's share information and the share is deleted while they have the file
open. I urge anyone using this method to put the most commonly used drives
in the script first to avoid this problem.

Aaron