[Samba] Samba share and --ghost'ed automount hierarchy

Robert Giles rgiles at arlut.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 10 16:48:30 GMT 2006

Howdy folks - I have an automount hierarchy "/data", with 30 or so mounts
defined across various hosts on my network.  A few of these mountpoints
are temporarily off-line, but still appear under /data, due to the --ghost
option.

When I try to access the top level \\server\data from a Windows client,
the directory listing in Explorer never returns because smbd is trying to
stat these unavailable filesystems it thinks exist due to the --ghost
option.

Is it possible to have smbd simply return the list of directories it finds
(from the "fake" --ghost listing) without it causing the automounter to
attempt a mount each directory?

I'm running SuSE 10.1, with Samba 3.0.22-11-SUSE-CODE10 and autofs 4.1.4
on a 2.6.18-rc4 kernel (with SuSE 10.1 /proc/config.gz).  "auto.master"
and the "auto.data" maps are stored in LDAP, if that makes a difference.

(another option might be to write a script to convert the auto.data map
into an appropriate set of symbolic links to msdfs filesystems, install
Samba on the various NFS servers, etc.  - but I'd like to try the easy
option first - currently, none of the servers in auto.data provide SMB
services).