[Samba] Profiles utility not obtaining SID

John D Paul jdpaul at gocolumbiamo.com
Tue Oct 10 14:18:02 GMT 2006

For a few years, I've used a homegrown script to migrate local profiles to
domain profiles utilizing the profiles utility. After upgrading to Samba
3.0.23c, the profiles utility has changed.

The script used to run the profiles utility against the NTUSER.DAT file to
obtain the user and group SIDS. Now, however, the utility will only print
off TONS of stuff to stderr (of course not the SIDS, see below for
example), print nothing to stdout, and will segfault if the NTUSER.DAT file
is big enough.

What can be done? Does this indicate a problem with the profiles utility, or
is there something else I can use to extract/change SIDS in NTUSER.DAT
files?

All the best,
Danny