[Samba] Authenticating Linux Against AD with Winbind

Jason Rotunno jrotunno at swarthmore.edu
Tue Oct 10 13:49:15 GMT 2006

James Zuelow wrote:
> You're trying to authenticate against active directory:
>

>> I'm trying to set up a Linux box to authenticate users against AD
>>

> But your config doesn't agree with you:
>

>> security = server
>>

> And you may have cut them out, but I see no realm entry to specify the
> AD domain.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused, though. The how-to doesn't say
anything about either of these options. Actually, I checked a number of
different how-tos and docs and some include them, while others don't.
(??) Also, sorry for my lack of knowledge but realm refers to the
kerberos realm, correct? We don't use kerberos and I was under the
impression that it wasn't necessary, since some docs (such as the one
I'm using) don't mention anything about it.

Thanks for your help,
Jason