[Samba] member server 3.0.23c drives me nuts

Tue Oct 10 09:11:51 GMT 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 10:50:15AM -0400, Todd Barbera wrote:
> I've run into a bug with 3.0.23c in terms of groups not showing up.
> Given what I have been reading, you may be wise to downgrade back to
> 3.0.22 (assuming that was stable for you) until the bugs can get ironed
> out. Apparently it's a Brave New World with 3.0.23c...

True, there have been lots of changes in 3.0.23, but I would
still very strongly argue that they are necessary.

If you have issues with it, please report them here or in
https://bugzilla.samba.org/.

> 1) Random people just could not mount any shares on the member server
> anymore or the mount process took very very long. All of a sudden, they
> could connect to the shares again at normal speed without me changing
> anything.

We need more information here. A debug level 10 log of smbd
would be helpful.

> 2) I could not log in to the member server anymore via ssh and also not
> on the console. The server just didn't give me a shell. This led me to
> resetting the server who had an uptime of almost 600 days. This is
> actually what grieves me most ;-)
>
> After poking around a bit I found in log.winbindd
>
> [2006/10/09 14:41:41, 0] nsswitch/winbindd.c:process_loop(832)
>    winbindd: Exceeding 200 client connections, no idle connection found
> [2006/10/09 14:41:41, 0] nsswitch/winbindd.c:request_main_recv(556)
>    malloc failed

I would be surprised that this is a 3.0.23 specific thing,
although we also need more info here.

> 3) When trying to assign acls in windows to files joe suddenly appears
> as "joe (Unix User\joe)" instead of "joe (MYDOMAIN\joe)"

This can indeed happen if winbind does not map the unix id
of Joe to a domain sid. In particular with your "winbind
trusted domains only = yes" setting it is very likely to
happen. See the release notes, this is one of the changes we
have made.

Volker