[Samba] Copying Files from XP to Samba (help needed)

Peter Daum gator_ml at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 9 08:22:51 GMT 2006

I am still desperately trying to figure out why I get such a horrible
performance trying to copy files from XP to Samba (below is my
original post to illustrate the context. Meanwhile, I found a
pretty remarkable pattern in the network traces.

Generally, the packets send from the XP machine look like this:

01: WriteAndXRequest 60 kBytes (1392 bytes payload)
02: 1460 bytes
    ...        (usual time delta between 2 packets < 0.0001 secs)
42: 1460 bytes
    < < < < delta: 0.05 - 0.3 secs > > > >
43: last 188 bytes
.. WriteAndXResponse from Samba machine, da capo

It seems like what is slowing the transfer down so dramatically, is
the long gap before the last 188 bytes are sent. I can't see anything
reasonable the XP machine could be waiting for - it already got the
ack for the last preceding packet.

To emphasize again, this is not a general networking problem between
the 2 machines; it only (at leas AFAIK) occurs  when copying large
files from Windows XP to Samba shares (and at that occasion I could
reproduce it with all the Samba servers and XP clients that I checked
so far)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
                             Peter Daum