[Samba] Samba and Win 2003 AD Question

Michael Casale mcasale at knoa.com
Fri Oct 6 22:14:56 GMT 2006

High all,

First of all, thanks in advance for any response to this message. Groups
like this are a lifesaver.

I just took over an admin position for a small software company that
runs a Windows 2000 domain, in native mode, with a Samba 3 file server,
as a Domain Member, connecting to a password server which is the Windows
2000 Primary Domain Controller.

The domain controller runs a Wins server, used by Samba, and a DNS
server. I've since created a backup domain controller, which also hosts
DNS secondary zones for the domain, and a WINS server with real-time
push-pull from the WINS on the PDC.

My question:

Can I upgrade my PDC to Windows 2003 Server R2 without having to change
my current samba server configuration? Has anyone done this: upgrade a
Win 2000 Active Directory domain controller, running in Native Mode, to
a Windows 2003 R2 Server, and still had Samba work?

Here is a copy of the Global section of my config file:

[global]

   workgroup = NYC-14

   netbios name = SAN

   server string = Storage Area Network

   printcap name = /etc/printcap

   load printers = no

cups options = raw

 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

   max log size = 50

   security = ads

   realm = nyc-14.knoa.com

   password server = credo.nyc-14.knoa.com

   wins server = 192.168.14.243

   dns proxy = no

   idmap uid = 10000-20000

   idmap gid = 10000-20000

;   winbind separator = \

   winbind enum users = yes

   winbind enum groups = yes

   template shell = /bin/false

   winbind use default domain = yes

As you can see, we're using winbind and using ads security.

Thanks for any help and advise!

Mike