[Samba] Office: File currently in use by user xyz problem!

Fri Oct 6 12:38:40 GMT 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 02:27:09PM +0200, Michael Rignaz wrote:
> today we got some mysterious errors.. a machine was hard reset and after
> the boot this user tried to re-open a file previously opened with full
> read/write access. This failed, many previously opened files were locked
> due to "currently n use by user xyz" problems, which were different
> usernames though these users -as word/excel claimed- didn't have these
> files open at that time. Couldn't even see these files locked via smbstatus.

Which Samba version are you using? If you have multiple
installations of Samba on your machine, are you sure you are
using the correct smbstatus binary?

> I veto disabled oplocks before on office files..
> Now I also disabled level2 oplocks globally, if that could be a factor.

It is highly unlikely that oplocks have anything to do with
your problem.

In your case setting 'reset on zero vc = yes' might help.
Please read the manpage for smb.conf for possible caveats
with this parameter.

Volker